Everytime I talk to people about Erlang they think it's just another language.
Erlang is not just a language. Ericsson open sourced it's software switching infrastructure, somewhat like AT&T Bell Labs open sourcing Plan9. It's different because Ericsson actually produced real products using Erlang. Ericsson openly endorses Erlang - OTP systems: Erlang is based off of Joe Armstrong's thesis - "Making reliable distributed systems in the presence of software errors". The current download contains:
- the src code with targets for WIN32, linux and vxworks
- pre-compiled binaries for win32 and linux
- system libraries with built-in
** easily distributable, configurable ( in-memory or disk ) database system called Mnesia ** native bindings to mysql and postgres ** SNMP V1, V2 and V3 agents, ** a database config that exposes tables as SNMP tables ** 3rd party contrib libs for - web server, jabber, ldap, radius, ldap, nfs
- bindings to C, C++, Java, Tk
- good documentation including how to extend it with examples
- a couple of books that discuss erlang implementations of non-trivial distributing computing objects.